Sunday, September 19, 2010

My Psychogeography

Psychogeography is defined as "the study of the precise laws and specific effects of the geographical environment, consciously organized or not, on the emotions and behavior of individuals". In other words, it's how your surroundings effect the way you think, and the way you act. 

For my psychogeography project I chose to take pictures of other peoples feet.  As a dancer, I often find myself just staring at peoples feet (usually trying to determine whether or not they will have a good point, or a good turn out). I have found that different people in executing something as simple as taking a single step will do it in a very unique and individual way. It's just like if you watch 10 different dancers perform the same choreography, you will see 10 different interpretations of that choreography. By taking time to notice different peoples "interpretations" of  walking, running, jumping, ect., it can turn everyday movement into somewhat of a dance, turning the everyday into somewhat of a performance...

No comments:

Post a Comment