Wednesday, May 16, 2012

An Update...

Since I last blogged a lot has happened: I've made a decision, I've made progress, and I've reached an obstacle.


The Decision...
I've finally turned that mess of monologues into a conceivable project. Step 1, break the monologues up into pieces, and rearrange them as dialogue in a scene. The characters in the scene won't be made up, but the actual characters who had spoken the monologues in the movies originally. Step 2, watch the monologues being performed in the movies over, and over, and over again. Analyze every detail of the actresses performance, down to the simple blink of an eye or twitch of a finger. Step 3, filming. I will not so much copy but embody what the actress has created with the monologue. I will attempt to recreate exactly what they had done. I will film myself playing each of the parts, and then edit it together to form a coherent scene. 


Progress...
Script? Check. Cutting down and rearranging the monologues was easier than I thought. I mean, simply the fact that I picked the monologues meant there was inevitably going to be a relationship between them all, but it even still I was surprised as to just how easy it was to piece them together as dialogue (that actually made some sense). In the end, I was left with a strange script about dreams, and love, and loss. It wound up discussing something quit profound, that I don't think I could've come by consciously. It's almost as though I created something that's a little beyond my capability to understand, which is kind of cool. 


The obstacle...
Im stalling. I have the idea, I have the script, and now it's time to film, but I can't get myself to do it. All I need to do is just start. I mean, just because I film something doesn't mean  I have to use it (there's this wonderful button on digital cameras that's called "delete"). I can film, re-film, and film again, as many times as I want. So what's stopping me? I wish I knew what could possibly be so scary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment