Sunday, February 10, 2013

A sneak preview...

On Wednesday I got a sneak preview of what my college experience will be like. Well, really what the rest of my life will be like, but lets stay in the moment shall we? For the following blog post I am going to assume that I will be studying musical theatre in college, and then of course go on to have a successful broadway career. I understand that this is in no way, shape, or form a guarantee, but I am tired of second guessing myself. I am tired of saying "if" or "maybe", from now on it's only "when" and "why not?". 
This Wednesday I attended a Dance convention at the Tiles Center. My day started off with an African Dance class, followed by lunch, a yoga class, an a judication, and finally a performance. I think what really struck me as "cool" (for lack of a better words) is that every single second I was there, whether it was in class, on stage, or in the dressing room, I truly felt like I belonged. I was meant to do this, all of it, everything in my being was designed for it. This was confirmed when I got home that evening. Usually after a day of school I come home exhausted. I am drained and empty, and all I want to do is sit on the couch and watch TV. But when I got home on wednesday night, after a 13 hour day of dance, I couldn't have been more awake. I was charged like there was an electric current flowing through my body. Now I finally understand what Elton John was writing about (I am referring to Electricity form Billy Eliot). The purpose of life is to find what makes you feel alive, and just do it. It's as simple as that. I consider myself one of the lucky ones that I've discovered this so early on. Some may say that a career in the arts is unstable and unpredictable, but I beg to differ. I know, if I perform for the rest of my life, I am guaranteed  happiness, and after that what else really matters. 
So I really couldn't be more pleased with this sneak preview. If it is as accurate as I think, I am headed for a life of electricity, security, and happiness. Sounds great.

No comments:

Post a Comment