Sunday, September 15, 2013

Crowdfunding...

This whole crowdfunding thing is really cool. It's like a combination of crowdsurfing, begging (in the most classy way possible), and winning the lottery. I like the idea of asking strangers for money. Even more so, I love the idea of them actually giving it to us. If there's anybody who can do this, I think we can. No, lets be more confident, I know we can. Not only are we cute and charming kids asking for money for their education so they can study art and follow their dreams and express themselves (and a lot of other corny things) but we, as a group, are really talented and smart! I don't want to sound conceded but it's true. And that's the key. We can of course ask people for money, and tell them how important this program is, and just talk talk talk. But why talk when we can show? I was surfing around Kickstarter and I watched a lot of interesting videos. All of the projects were really interesting and if I was rich I would probably give money to 95% of them. But the best videos (the one's I wanted to give the most money to) were the one's that talked a little bit about their project at the beginning but then actually showed you their work. The worst video I found was a 10 minute long interview about why I should support the Bay One Acts Festival. I mean it sounds interesting, and it seems worthwhile, but apart from being really boring am I just supposed to take their word for it? For all I know this festival could suck. I want some proof before I give money to complete strangers. 
Basically, I think we need to do something that will impress people. We need to show off in a polite and sophisticated way. Like the RawDance company in San Francisco. They are trying to raise money for "a theatrical dance installation unearthing where possession lies in the body." Of course it's an interesting project, but instead of just telling us about it, they showed us. For the first few seconds of the video they gave a brief explanation, but after that they simply showed you clips of different dances. The dances were magnificent and so interesting. There was so much that I've never seen before. It impressed me. That's the key. So how will we impress people? We need to make something good. Sounds easy enough right? 
I think we should make movies. Since before I was in STAC, the one thing that always came to mind when I think of this program is really interesting and impressive student films. If we can make films that are really good and show people them I think we can get money. There is something about the medium of film that is more relatable than any other medium of art. I think it's because of it's accessibility. It would be difficult to find a person who has not seen a movie, but a little easier to find someone who has never been to MoMa or seen a Ballet. There's a comfort when it comes to film, because of it's familiarity, and because of this I think we can even get away with doing something a little strange. Most importantly I think people are most impressed by films. Maybe it's because it seems more complicated than picking up a paint brush or jumping around in tights? I don't know. But if movies are impressive, and impression means money, then lest make movies! Don't ask what these films will be about or where/ when/ and how we will show them... there's still  brainstorming to be done.

2 comments:

  1. I think for people to fund us we need to show them exactly what they are paying for. I also agree with you that movies seem to be the best option because movies were meant to be viewed on a screen of some sort. Art is more impressive in person and so are theatrical performances. For some reason when I think of STAC I think of the island of misfit toys (in a good way) this might be a good idea for our campaign as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sabrina, your writing style is so adorable. I agree with a lot of what you said, especially that we need to show people what we are doing and what we are going to do. We need stuff that people will actually like, and we should definitely do things that are interesting to a large range of people so we can get the most support.

    ReplyDelete