Sunday, September 22, 2013

Library...

I was listening to the radio a couple of days ago and the song "Fix You" by Coldplay came on. Of course I've heard it before, but I've never really heard it you know? I was walking and it literally stopped me in my tracks. It was one of those really intimate weird moments that make you feel wonderful and freaks out at the same time. There is something about the lyrics that really speak to me. 

I know we're talking about moving away from needing inspiration, but lets be real, we all like to be inspired. I think the most important function of our library is to provide us with inspiration. That's exactly what this song does so I am filling it away as the first official piece in my library. It's a song that evokes such a strong emotional response from me. Even just thinking about now makes me almost want to cry. When I listen to it... I want to sing it, I want to play it on the guitar, I want to choreograph a dance to it, I want to read the lyrics as a monologue, I even want to paint it! It doesn't give me any clear specific ideas immediately, but the inspiration is strong and growing stronger. Take a look:


When you try your best but you don't succeed
When you get what you want but not what you need
When you feel so tired but you can't sleep
Stuck in reverse
And the tears come streaming down your face
When you lose something you can't replace
When you love someone but it goes to waste
Could it be worse?
Lights will guide you home
And ignite your bones
And I will try to fix you
And high up above or down below
When you're too in love to let it go
But if you never try you'll never know
Just what you're worth
Lights will guide you home
And ignite your bones
And I will try to fix you
Tears stream down your face
When you lose something you cannot replace
Tears stream down your face
And I
Tears stream down your face
I promise you I will learn from my mistakes
Tears stream down your face
And I
Lights will guide you home
And ignite your bones
And I will try to fix you

I feel like I can't relate to it at all and yet I feel like it was written just for me. I think it's safe to say this is my new favorite song. But it's missing something- a really good video. I went on youtube and it appears that Coldplay never made an official music video. They're are bunch of fan made ones but non that evoke the kind of emotion that this song warrants. So, I decided... and I really don't want to say this because it's basically making an unofficial contract with myself that I can't break but...  I am going to make a music video.

3 comments:

  1. I understand what you are saying completely, inspiration hits you when you least expect it, or sometimes when you most need it. You have no control over where it comes from. I was listening to "Never let me go" by Florence and the Machine when I got the inspiration for the script for that music video last year!

    ReplyDelete