Sunday, October 3, 2010

I screamed!

Out of all the complex mind boggling exhibits that can be found at MoMA, my favorite exhibit consisted simply of a microphone ,and a speaker. The mic was open for anyone to just walk up, take a deep breath, and you guessed it, scream. Although I was having so much fun screaming in the middle of MoMA, I couldn't help thinking, "This isn't art". Though after thinking about it I realized well, this has to be art, after all it's exhibited in the Museum of Modern Art. I mean, they didn't just throw this in to take up space. So now the question was "How is this art?". But, before I could answer that question I had to begin by asking myself "Well, what exactly is art?". Immediately I thought paintings, sculptures, photographs... but still I couldn't answer my original question, so there had to be something I was missing (and there was). Oddly enough I found the answer on a fellow STACies blog post, "Art is not just a pretty picture on a wall. Art is a reflection of life and emotion." It now all makes perfect sense. Art isn't something you can just look at, art is something you can experience (and screaming in the middle of an otherwise quite museum is quite the experience). It now seems that this "screaming" exhibit is the most artistic exhibit in the whole museum. 




And how many people can say that they screamed at the top of their lungs in the middle of the Museum of Modern Art?

No comments:

Post a Comment