Monday, October 25, 2010

Not just another ballet...







Walking out of the theatre I wasn’t quite sure of what to make of Swan Lake. I definitely loved it, but that’s pretty much all I could say. All my other thoughts and opinions were sort of swirling around in my head and I couldn’t figure out how to make sense of them. Everything is clearer now that we've discussed it in class (although no matter how much I analyze it, I don’t think I’ll ever fully understand it, and that’s okay). To me, it was basically a string of metaphors and themes tied together rather than a distinct storyline with a plot. I saw acceptance as a very relevant theme. Throughout the whole ballet the prince is desperately fighting to be accepted by his mother, but he is rejected time and time again. At the end of the ballet, the swans refuse to accept the Prince and the Swan King’s love for each other, and the two of them are forced to fight for their lives. Then at the very last moment, when we see the Swan King embrace the Prince, we know they finally have found the acceptance they have been longing for in each other. There are countless metaphors and themes that can be interpreted, but that is just one that jumped out at me.
Putting metaphors and interpretations aside, I absolutely loved the choreography. It was an ugly ballet; sort of an oxymoron isn’t it? Yet, I loved it, it worked, and it was unlike anything I’ve ever seen. Being the ballet nerd that I am, I was not bored for one single moment, because there was not one single piece of choreography that was not interesting in some way. I’m probably the only one who feels this way, but I would’ve loved for the never-ending dance of the Swan’s to go on even longer than it did.  I found it so cool the way the dancers were moving in an animalistic, swan-like way. I could've watched it for hours!


I only hope that one day I can have the chance to perform in Matthew Bourne’s Swan Lake. 

4 comments:

  1. GREAT POST! It was an ugly ballet, wasn't it? There were so many moments that were modern dance, even some hip hop... sometimes it looked to me more like it was choreographed by a stage director than a proper choreographer, but I liked that. Rather than be pretty, it was clear. What was happening was so clear. And some of the thing that happened were ugly as well.

    Next time we talk in class, you have to bring stuff up like this. You're smart, you've got something to say, now you say it. ok?

    Luke

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou! I'll be sure to share my thoughts next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're not the only one who felt that way about that scene. When I saw it I loved that part. It was one of my favorites. And for the next week during dance classes I would do the whole head roll/swan run thing they did or the bizarre side attitude turned in with the arms draped over the head that the male swans treated like it was their version of a B plus.

    I agree it was an ugly ballet. But I was reading an interview with Matthew Bourne and he said it isn't a ballet. He called it a piece of dance theater. And that to me makes much more sense. He doesn't understand why people call it a ballet. There is not one pointe shoe on that stage the entire time. Except for that one scene when they have the "fake ballet." But even then, when she's dancing on pointe she's making fun of the whole idea. The way that section was choreographed had me laughing so hard because everything that Bourne made fun of in that section is right on target. The way ballerinas run, the way they prepare and do 20 different por te bras before pique turns in a circle. It's sort of ridiculous but that's classical ballet and it's what has been identified as correct and beautiful over the years.

    I could keep going but I have to finish my acting paper. Love you.

    ReplyDelete