Sunday, January 13, 2013

Lets be honest...

My preparation: It was minimal but sufficient. I read it through several times the night before. I intended to begin earlier so I could confidently have it memorized, but of course I forgot and so being on book would have to do. I tried to apply some of the techniques I learned from previous classes. I do not pretend to be an expert (I am barely an amateur) but I think if I put in more time I could have done more. I worked with objectives and subtext but I didn't analyze the whole script in its entirety. I sort of just felt my way through and winged it. I am happy to say that I did some research. Since I have never watched a single episode of Gossip Girl and I was "auditioning" for Blair Waldorf, I needed some information. I looked at her wardrobe, found character descriptions, and looked at some youtube clips. I think the most valuable thing I did was the research, which is a lesson well learned. Of all the parts I've played, I don't think I've ever done any research other then watching the musical numbers on youtube and watching a movie version if there happens to be one. It's kind of embarrassing. You would think of all the time and effort I put into my parts (or at least I think I put in), I would have time to open up my lab top and do a google search. It wasn't even that I was ignorant and believed that I knew everything, It was really simple, unadulterated laziness. So I will vow to no longer be lazy. For the show I am currently working on I will do some research. I promise myself. 

The Audition: It did go well I think. I felt confident, which was the best part. The fact that I wasn't really nervous felt like a breakthrough. Even though It wasn't a real audition, I expected myself to be nervous. Whenever I have to get up in front of people and perform I always experience some nerves. I am not saying I didn't experience a little turn in my stomach as I walked through the door, but it was trivial. I don't really know how the actual performance went, I guess I'll have to wait and see the tape. The one very valuable piece of advice she gave me was to project someone onto the person I was reading with. Of course I've learned this in class but I never thought of it in the context of an audition, but it works so well! Even though you are reading with a casting director or assistant or whoever, it doesn't matter that they aren't an actor you are playing opposite. You can project someone onto them and then it doesn't matter who they are. They can be any one you want them to be.

1 comment:

  1. Good. FINALLY YOU ARE WRITING!!

    I sent you an email - please follow the instructions.

    Luke

    ReplyDelete