Tuesday, January 15, 2013

My Audition Tape...

If you asked me how I looked I'll say fine. Great in fact. My face was believable but subtle, like it should be for film. My outfit also helped to add to the believablity of my performance. It really did look like I was an elitist rich girl from the upper east side.

If you asked me what problems I had with my performance, trust me the list is a lot longer...
1. You couldn't see my eyes, becuase I was reading the whole time. The eyes are the most expressive part of the face and since you couldn't see them, this automatically made my performance seem artificial. When she told me to make eye contact with Megan, it was amazing how much I improved. It looked better and it felt better. I wasn't reading the lines anymore, I was simply talking to Megan. 
2. I am naturally a very physical speaker. What I mean is, my head and my body move (a lot) whenever I am talking. In person it adds to the excitement or passion in which I talk with, but on film it is really distracting. It is the tall tell sign of an amateur. 
3. I am not sure if this was a flaw in my performance or just my own insecurity, but my voice was a problem. It had this nasal quality that I would categorize as a stereotypical Long Island "JAP" voice. I don't know if it was because I was channelling my inner b***** or if that's just the way I sound. I really hope it's not the latter. Whatever the cause it didn't sound real. When she told me to project onto Megan I suddenly lost that nasal quality. Since Megan became a real person, I had to communicate to her in a real way. 

As far as my professionalism goes, I am not worried. It's something that I am always very conscious of and judging from the tap I was very appropriate: friendly but respectful. 




No comments:

Post a Comment