Monday, April 15, 2013

4th Quarter...

My major will be acting.

I don't think  working towards a finished product is necessarily beneficial or productive. I think it will be more enjoyable, less stressful, and free from constraints or confinement if I approach my work as an exploration, not as a rehearsal. Now this may sound like laziness, but it's not. One thing that I learned this quarter is that the true power of the fear of failure. Sometimes it can inspire you to achieve goals you never thought imaginable, but at other times it can discourage you so greatly that the the fear itself can become the very thing that is stopping you from succeeding. I really think if we didn't have that looming thought of performance in the back of our minds, a big obstacle would have been avoided. I believe we would have felt free to explore, and try, and experiment, because if it didn't work, who cares? So, I don't want 4th quarter to be about performance in any way. I want the freedom to explore, and more importantly I want the freedom to fail. I know I am being very vague, and that's simply because I'm really not sure what I should do. I know what I want to do, so that's the first step, but I can't really seem to answer the question of what the end result will be, or where I will get to, or even how I will be evaluated. I'm sorry if I'm not answering any of the questions, but I don't want to give answers just for the sake of giving answers. I mean, in a perfect world I would say that I want to spend 4th Quarter in an acting class (as much as I would love to be able to independently study, I have proven to myself that I'm not ready for that, and that's okay). So, I guess the question is what would be the next best thing?

My minor will be song writing.

Why? That's easy. It's something that I love to do, and haven't done much of. I've written a few songs and the joy I get from it is really hard to express with written words. It's truly an escape, and I think I'll be needing one from time to time (especially in the coming months of SATs, ACTs, APs, Finals, and Regents). I'm starting with 2 finished songs under my belt, and I would love to finish 4th quarter with maybe 4? I really have no clue if that's a reasonable number because I am totally new to this. I would also love to record my songs that I've already written. The idea of recording has always frightened me and I want to over come that. 



2 comments:

  1. And what to read???

    And can I hear your two songs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hopefully we all get to hear your songs in the future, reading this makes me excited to see what you're gonna make. And I'm not just saying that to just say it, I'm saying cause I mean it!

    ReplyDelete