Monday, November 11, 2013

One more Big Think...

As we've established I'm not religious and I do not observe Shabbat. But maybe I should? Or at least partake in a "Technology Shabbat". To say that we are addicted to technology, that it has taken over our lives and consumes us 24/7 is an understatement. It's become an extension of ourselves. We have come to believe that we can't live without it. Somehow we have found that connecting with millions of people we don't even know is more important that  connecting with our friends and families (I truly believe Technology can lead to world peace, but that means it's very powerful, and when not used carefully has the potential to do just as much harm as good). So maybe we should all observe a "Technology Shabbat", whether we are jewish or not. If we unplug, take our eyes off the screen, and actually look at what's around us I think we would be a lot happier. I think we would appreciate more. I think we would learn more. I think we would experience our life more. When you really think about, we have traded the real world for a virtual world. Maybe it's because it's safer, maybe it's because it's in our control... I don' know.  But all I know is that the benefit of leaving the virtual world from time to time and reentering the real world is invaluable. I'm going to make a vow to every once and a while stop instagramming my lunch, and actually sit back and enjoy the meal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment